Michael Jackson suffered a horrible hair fire accident when filming a commercial for Pepsi Inc. in L.A.’s Shrine Auditorium back on Jan. 27, 1984. Though the public has known the mishap for the 25 years, they never had the idea of what happened on the scene. Now three weeks after Jackson died of a possible Propofol overdose on June 25, a never-before-seen footage obtained by Usmagazine.com ended such a long wait for those who were keen to know the truth.
The clip shows one take where the pyrotechnics exploded as planned — after Jackson descended the stairs and began performing with his brothers.
On the sixth take, though, things went horribly wrong: The fireworks erupted too early, igniting Jackson’s head in flames. Jackson is at first unaware he’s on fire, and continues dancing.
He was never the same after the accident, reports the new issue of Us Weekly, on stands today [
To relieve the second and third-degree burns on his scalp and body (and later to help him tolerate multiple surgeries on the scorched spot on his head), Jackson was prescribed several medications — which kicked off his addiction to painkillers and obsession with plastic surgery, multiple sources tell Us.
If this accident, believed as a turning point for Michael Jackson’s remaining life, hadn’t happened, we strongly believe the King of Pop most likely should still live very well now.